Are you someone who loves baking cakes and is always looking for new and creative ways to decorate them? If yes, then you must have come across the term ‘cake coverings’ at some point. Cake coverings are an essential part of cake decoration, and they add a whole new dimension to the final look of your cake. In this article, we will discuss everything you need to know about cake coverings and how you can use them to create beautiful cakes.
What are cake coverings?
Cake coverings are materials that you use to cover your cakes. They can be made of various ingredients, such as fondant, marzipan, buttercream, and ganache. These materials give you a smooth and even surface to work with and allow you to create intricate designs and decorations on your cake.
Types of cake coverings:
1. Fondant – Fondant is a sugar paste that you can roll out and shape to cover your cake. It gives you a smooth and clean finish and is perfect for creating detailed designs and decorations.
2. Marzipan – Marzipan is made of ground almonds and sugar and is often used as a cake covering. It has a slightly grainy texture and is perfect for creating simple designs and decorations.
3. Buttercream – Buttercream is a mixture of butter and sugar, and it can be used as a cake covering. It has a creamy texture and is perfect for creating simple designs and decorations.
4. Ganache – Ganache is a mixture of chocolate and cream, and it can be used as a cake covering. It has a smooth and shiny finish and is perfect for creating simple designs and decorations.
How to use cake coverings:
1. Preparation – Before you start covering your cake, you need to make sure that it is levelled and crumb-coated. Crumb-coating is a thin layer of frosting that seals in the crumbs and gives you a smooth surface to work with.
2. Rolling out the covering – Roll out your chosen cake covering on a surface dusted with icing sugar. Make sure that it is big enough to cover your cake entirely.
3. Covering the cake – Lift the cake covering and place it over your cake. Smooth out any wrinkles or air bubbles using a cake smoother or your hands.
4. Decorating – Once you have covered your cake, you can start decorating it. You can use various techniques, such as piping, stencilling, and painting, to create beautiful designs and decorations.
Why use cake coverings:
Cake coverings give you a smooth and even surface to work with, and they allow you to create intricate designs and decorations that are not possible with just frosting. They also help to keep your cake fresh and moist for longer periods.
Cake coverings are an essential part of cake decoration, and they give you the freedom to create beautiful designs and decorations on your cakes. Whether you use fondant, marzipan, buttercream, or ganache, each material has its unique properties that you can use to your advantage. So the next time you bake a cake, try using cake coverings and see how they transform your cakes into works of art.